How is a mouth guard made?Dr. Taylor will begin by taking an impression of the teeth, which will then be sent to a dental laboratory. The dental laboratory will create a custom mouth guard by using a special material and then fitting it over the top of the dental mold.
What are the advantages of custom mouth guards for athletics?Mouth guards created in a dental laboratory have significant benefits over those purchased at a sporting goods store including the following:
- Feel more comfortable with custom fit
- Are more durable than over-the-counter mouth guards
- Provide better protection as it is customized to your teeth
- Can breathe more easily while wearing them
- Do not inhibit speech, making it easier to understand the wearer
- Do not interfere with dental appliances such as braces or retainers